Thursday, July 7, 2011

Freedoms

Red, white and blue! Could anything be better? I love waking up on the 4th of July, and seeing the flag waving that the local boy scouts have put up! Then of course there is the cannon being fired, the military honors in the parade, and the fireworks bursting in the evening.
This year the whole family participated in the 5k run. Steve and Logan both received medals for their age groups. And the rest of us were happy to finish well and not embarrass ourselves.


 As usual, the Kaysville parade was enjoyed by all. The crowds seemed larger, and at times we couldn't see the parade because of all the people. But there is always excitement and a sense of pride, as the flag proudly leads out the procession. I get a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes as the military veterans wave and shake hands with the spectators. How blessed I feel to be a part of such a great country, and a part of a great community.


That evening, our family had the privilege of going to the Oakley Rodeo. The new rodeo grounds are just a hop, skip and a jump away from the land my Grandpa used to own. Their little house and barn are still there, but there are a bunch of new homes built around it. The scene is much different than I see in my mind. But once again I am so grateful for the wonderful heritage that I have. My Grandparents helped give me a strong foundation for my life, that I don't ever want to let go of. 
How blessed I am to be Free! I'm proud to be an American! 

No comments:

Post a Comment